Archive for category Troy Innocent
World Machine, 2010
-Its function is to transmutate the city streets to provide a suitable habitat for Ludean lifeforms. At its core are seven tags that appear in scenes that are at once familiar and alien; simultaneously read by humans and machines; augmenting and mutating urban space.
– weathering steel, acrylic, computer-controlled light, 12-channel sound, interactive installation, iPhone web app
– there are multiple levels of activity within this urban art environment: firstly, the autonomous network of interactions that the totems have with themselves; secondly, the stimulus received from human presence; and thirdly, via direct play from an iPhone. This third form of interaction allows the performance of individual totems as audiovisual instruments; triggering light and sound events, and in turn feeding energy into the system. Thirty-six people with thirty-six iPhones play the colony as an electronic light and sound orchestra.
– Each totem is inscribed with glyphs from a constructed language inspired by prelinguistic communication, digital game iconography, and asemic writing, a wordless open semantic form of writing.
– creating new experiences of urban space and ways of seeing the city
– the term ‘noemaflux’ expresses the experience of being in a mixed reality where perception is changed via digital interventions into the real world
– Players use mobile devices to explore streets and laneways and find augmented reality (AR) markers integrated into the urban environment. These act both as signposts that indicate the space of the work and as gateways into the artificial world.
– urban spaces are reinvented and inscribed with new meaning via a mixed reality. In this new space, the main street and adjoining laneways of the city of Ogaki are populated by media creatures from the Micronation of Ludea
Urban Codemakers, 2011
– develop a visual language for urban codemaking, IDEOTAG laser cut design and connect these with a street game for the Urban Codemakers
– Their urban renewal project sought to rezone the city through play. It consists of three guilds, street signage, 100+ blog posts, four blogs, a street game, 768 IDEOTAGs, a public demonstration, a public information video in Federation square, a series of academic articles, and three urban planning proposals for the City of Melbourne.
Troy Innocent is a media artist based in Melbourne